Attorneys Fighting Back Against Dangerous Consumer Products
We take for granted that the products we buy are safe. Unfortunately, manufacturers and retailers sometimes betray that trust, leading to serious injuries or even fatalities. At Fury Duarte PS, our personal injury attorneys are committed to representing individuals and families who have been wrongfully hurt or killed by a dangerous or defective consumer product.
Understanding Where The Dangers Lie
There are essentially three categories of defect that make a product dangerous. They include:
- Dangerous design – The flaw in the product is built into the design. Therefore, every unit of that product made will be dangerous.
- Manufacturing issues – The product itself may be sound, but mistakes or negligence in the manufacturing process leads to an unsafe product. The manufacturing errors could impact every unit or could be limited to a bad “batch.”
- Failure to adequately warn – Some consumer products are inherently dangerous, like power tools, household chemicals and certain recreational vehicles. While some danger should be assumed on the part of consumers, manufacturers must explicitly warn about the potential hazards of the product – especially hazards which might not be obvious.
In many cases, dangerous products suffer from more than one of these types of defects.
Who Is Liable For A Dangerous And Defective Product?
Liability almost always starts with the manufacturer of the product, as they were responsible for bringing it to market in the first place. But liability also extends to retailers that sell the product. Until recently, it was primarily brick-and-mortar retailers that were named as defendants in product liability lawsuits. Online retailers like Amazon were usually shielded. However, recent court rulings have opened the door to holding “e-tailers” liable as well.
Typical Hazards And Dangers From Defective Products
Our experienced personal injury attorneys can help you hold manufacturers and retailers liable for a wide range of injuries and dangerous products, such as:
- Burn injuries from kitchen appliances that overheat
- Scalding injuries from microwavable products with flimsy packaging
- House fires caused by electronic devices with faulty wiring
- Poisoning from medicines and food tainted with foreign materials or diseases
- Injuries to children caused by toys with tiny parts that are not age-appropriate for their intended users
- Brain damage and other injuries caused by volatile chemicals that lack appropriate safety warnings
These are just a few examples from a seemingly endless list of hazards.
Contact Us To Discuss Your Legal Options With An Attorney
Fury Duarte is based in Bellevue, and we represent clients in the Seattle metropolitan area and throughout Washington. If you or a loved one has been seriously injured or killed by a dangerous and defective product, you have the right to seek compensation and to hold the negligent parties accountable. Discuss your case with us by calling 425-329-8900 or by filling out our online contact form.