Getting a DUI as a Minor Can Affect You After Age 21

I am 20 years old and recently got a DUI. My license is suspended for one year. Will I be able to go to the bar when I turn 21?

The first thing to consider is whether you are allowed to enter a bar at all based on your DUI sentence. When you were sentenced on your DUI, the judge may have ordered you not to consume alcohol or enter any bars or taverns. If the judge did order one or both of these things, you would be violating your sentence conditions by going to a bar. If you were caught violating your sentence conditions, you could face a sanction from the judge, including possible jail time. I regularly handle DUI cases in Bellingham and Whatcom County, and I have seen judges prohibit both of these things, especially during the pretrial phase of a case.

If the judge did not prohibit you from going to bars, the next thing to consider is what you are going to use as identification to get in. If your license is suspended, you likely do not have an actually driver’s license card anymore. In that case, you will need to get some other form of state identification to prove your age. Washington State does have a state ID card that you can use to prove your age. You can find information about that card here. Be warned though: if you apply for an ID card, it will revoke your drivers license. You can have one or the other, but not both.

You should always pay careful attention to everything the judge ordered as conditions of your DUI sentence. Look carefully at your sentencing documents, and consult with an experienced DUI attorney if you have any questions about the terms of your sentence.

Talk To A Knowledgeable Defense Attorney Before Making Any Decisions

Fury Duarte serves clients in the Seattle area and throughout Washington. We welcome the opportunity to discuss your case, and we encourage you to contact us for a complimentary consultation. You can reach our office in Bellevue by calling 425-643-1606.